It’s not easy, but it is rewarding. As a Crow Wing County Dispatcher, you’ll take control of situations that are often chaotic, confusing, and frenzied, and remain calm while providing guidance to callers and relaying critical information to responders.
The Crow Wing County Communications Center is staffed 24/7 and is a first point of contact for those who are calling 911. On average, the team answers 30,450 emergency 911 calls and over 80,000 non-emergency calls per year.
But this position is more than just answering calls—Dispatchers are the lifeline for county. You’ll serve as the first point of contact for people who are reporting an incident, as well as the emergency response teams that are dispatched on the call—a vitally important role to the public and the public safety community.
Some of your responsibilities as a Dispatcher will include:
- Operate a multi-channel radio console and a multi-line telephone, while maintaining computer-aided dispatch systems
- Gathering essential information from callers
- Dispatching appropriate first responders to the scene
- Monitor response, progress, and support needs
In addition to their full-time roles, our Dispatchers have the opportunity to receive specialized training as members of our special teams. These skills can be used to advance your career and transfer to a variety of law enforcement positions.
- Crisis Negotiation Team
- Drone Team
- Recruitment Team
- Peer Support Team
- Communications Training officer
A position as a Crow Wing County Dispatcher could be good fit if you:
- Care about the health and safety of other people
- Show compassion and patience toward others
- Remain calm during times of stress and potential life-or-death situations
- Can easily multi-task
- Listen and communicate clearly and confidently
- Enjoy using investigative skills to find out what is really going on
- Have experience using and understand technology—your friends might even call you tech savvy
Those with backgrounds in call centers, transportation dispatch centers, EMS, customer service, education, law enforcement, and the military are encouraged to apply! A high school diploma and the ability to type 30 words per minute are required. Click “Apply Now” to learn more about the position, see our benefits, and submit your application today!
We are not currently hiring Dispatchers. To sign up to be notified when a position becomes available, click here.