Protect and serve the nearly 63,000 residents of Crow Wing County as a Patrol Deputy. Under the direction of the sheriff, you’ll assist in enforcing the laws of the State of Minnesota and ordinances of Crow Wing County.
As a Patrol Deputy, you’ll keep Crow Wing County safe by responding to civil, criminal, and emergency calls; assisting the public; investigating criminal activity; and apprehending and arresting law breakers.
Some of your responsibilities as a Patrol Deputy will include:
- Perform routine patrol
- Enforce State and County laws and ordinances
- Enforce State and local traffic laws
- Respond to and investigate motor vehicle accidents
- Respond to a wide variety of emergencies
- Conduct criminal investigations
- Serve civil papers
- Apprehend and arrest individuals who commit criminal acts
- Promote public safety through routine patrol, crime prevention programs, public safety presentations, and interaction with the public
- Prepare written reports and required documentation using prescribed processes and technology
In addition to their full-time roles, our Deputies have the opportunity to receive specialized training as members of our special teams.
- Tactical Response Team
- Crisis Negotiation Team
- Bomb Squad
- Drone Operator
- Field Training Officer
- DWI/Drug Court
- Lakes Area Drug Investigative Division (LADID)
- Recreation Division
- Training Instructor (e.g., firearms, defensive tactics, de-escalation, etc.)
- Drug Recognition Expert
- General Investigations
- Recruitment and Retention
- Peer Support
We provide comprehensive, on-going training to ensure the competent, professional delivery of law enforcement services to the public through educated and well-trained deputies. Deputies are also provided with paid, on-duty fitness and employee wellness opportunities.
The Patrol Division also trains as an entity one day per month. The training consists of Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) requirements to maintain licenses including defensive tactics, de-escalation, and firearms, as well as several other POST-level classes.
Patrol Deputies also have the ability to attend out-of-house continued education relevant to their field. Additional training opportunities include:
- BCA courses
- ICLD (Institute for Credible Leadership Development) courses
- MSA (Minnesota Sheriff’s Association) Trainings
- Leadership training
A position as a Crow Wing County Patrol Deputy could be good fit if you:
- Care about protecting your community and those who reside there
- Listen and communicate clearly
- Are assertive, confident, and competent
- Perform well in high-pressure situations
- Enjoy working independently as well as part of a team
- Possess courage and the desire to do what’s right
- Have experience in law enforcement or a criminal justice background
Full- and part-time positions are available. Those with backgrounds in law enforcement, corrections, security, customer service, education, or law are encouraged to apply. An Associate’s Degree in criminal justice or a related field, a full-time peace officer’s license issued by the Minnesota POST Board, and a valid state-issued driver’s license are required. Click “Apply Now” to learn more about the position, see our benefits, and submit your application today!